Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Sayonara, Chicago!

Konnichiwa!

I'm about to spend the next ten months living in Osaka, Japan. A large part of that time will be devoted to singing and pretending that I wield magical powers. (Seriously, it's my job.) As for the rest of that time, well, we'll find out! I can't wait to see what this year has in store for me, and I'm excited to share all of my experiences here on this blog. Follow A Year in Hoguwatsu to keep up with my adventures!

So, here's the scoop: Last August, Universal Studios Japan (USJ) held auditions in Chicago for roles in various shows throughout the park, including the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, set to open this summer. I showed up, sang a song, sang some more, learned a dance combo, answered some questions, and went on my merry way. A couple months later, I received an email with an offer to sing in the Frog Choir, an a cappella quartet. It was the closest I'll ever come to an owl flying through my window with an actual Hogwarts invitation. I immediately accepted, and after a lot of paperwork and some delays in my departure date, I'm finally leaving Chicago tomorrow morning.

I've tried to do some research on Japanese culturelearn the basics of the language, and see what other Americans in Japan have learned during their journeys. I feel like I can only prepare so much before getting there and experiencing it in person, but there are certainly some challenges I'm already expecting to encounter:

  • While I'm super pumped to try all sorts of local cuisine, there are some American staples that will be in short supply in Japan, including cheese, peanut butter, tomato sauce, cheese, certain fruits and vegetables, cheese, cereal, and did I mention cheese?
  • As a 6-foot-tall white dude, I'm going to be rather conspicuous as I walk down the streets of Osaka. While the Japanese are very polite and treat foreigners as honored guests, I've been warned to expect locals staring, pointing, trying to practice English with me, and taking my picture. It doesn't sound like something that would bother me, but we'll see how I feel about it by next March.
  • As I mentioned, I've attempted to learn some rudimentary Japanese. Having said that, a couple months of Rosetta Stone and a quarter of an introductory workbook puts my understanding of the language at about the level of a Japanese one year-old baby, so it's going be difficult being in a place for so long where all the signs and menus will mostly look like nonsensical symbols to me.
  • Those who know me well could attest to the fact that I already tend to speak at an above-average volume in the states, and in Japan they speak much, much quieter. In order to avoid being obnoxious to the locals I'm really going to have to keep my voice down.
  • I couldn't be more thrilled about this new experience and to make new friends from all over the world, but that doesn't change the fact that I will definitely miss my family and friends at home, as well so many aspects of living in Chicago that I take for granted.
At this point I'm all packed and ready to go. The next time I post here, I'll already be in Japan, so check back soon to see how my journey begins.

To everyone I know and love in Chicago and elsewhere in the states, sayonara!

-Will






No comments:

Post a Comment