Thursday, June 19, 2014

My Apartment in Kaigandori House

A couple people have asked about the apartment I live in, so I'll give y'all a look at this awesome place I get to call home while I'm in Japan! All the foreign USJ performers live in Kaigandori House, where we have our own apartments as well as some communal spaces downstairs, including a lounge and a training room.

The door to my apartment

I'm right across from the elevators on the 4th floor

Some more of the 4th floor. All the doors to the apartments are outside.

The view into the outdoor courtyard from my floor

Just beyond the courtyard is where we park all our bikes

Just inside my apartment

To the left, my washing machine and dryer

I know that the red button means "Start" but that's about it...

Most Japanese homes have a small section by the entrance with a different floor to take off your shoes

Just past the washer and dryer is my kitchen area

Only one burner so cooking is not the most convenient thing

My sink and dishes

My fridge and microwave/oven (it works as both apparently)

Ahhhhhhhh

They gave us this handy chart to help us use the microwave. So far I've just toasted bread, and it was a great success!

Above the fridge and microwave is a little cabinet

The living space of my apartment

Table, couch, dresser

My bedddd <33333

The closet

We even have TVs! With some American channels and some Japanese

The balcony! I like to sit outside on nice mornings or evenings to take in the view

There are partitions between neighbors' balconies. Also a drying rack if I want to hang my clothes outside

It's a beautiful morning in Osaka!

On the right when you first walk in the apartment is the bathroom

Two different flush settings, big flush and small flush. Also, toilet paper packages have handles on them. Genius!

To the left in the bathroom is my wet room!

Close the door and shower! The whole room can get wet, it's all plastic

The floor must be ever so slightly slanted, all the water drains in the corner. I also have a bathtub if I feel like relaxing.

The shower head is detachable

Well, there you have it! I'll take some pictures of the whole building later, but I haven't left my apartment yet this morning.

Alright, now it's time for some more food pics! Yayyyy!

As proof that I'm not just eating fried dough and meat all the time, I documented a solo trip to Greens, a little vegetarian buffet place that is only open for lunch. For 850 yen (about $8.50) you get all the salad and vegetarian noodles/tofu/etc. you want. Oishii!




I don't really know what the soup or the stuff I put on my noodles were, but they were tasty nonetheless

For dessert I had half a roll with some peanut butter (!!!!) honey and jam

They also gave me a cup of gelatin, not sure what the flavor was but it was pink and on the tart side, maybe cranberry?

My cast also went back to the okonomiyaki restaurant I went to on my first night. Still probably my favorite place to eat in Japan so far!



It comes to the table still sizzling hot. So goooooood!

I'll end this post with a picture of the best tote bag I've ever seen in my life.

I want that bag so bad ahhhhhhhahahaha

My cast was surprised to get a couple days off, so some of us are going to the Osaka castle and Shinsaibashi today/tonight, and then tomorrow we're taking a trip to Kyoto, which is about an hour and a half away, so expect another post very soon!

1 comment: