Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Grand Opening and Local Festival

Yesterday, the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in USJ finally opened to the public! It was a crazy long day but a ton of fun. It started with the Grand Opening Ceremony in the morning, during which I was within about ten feet of Tom Felton and Evanna Lynch. There were thousands of people lined up in the morning to get into the park, and many of them were some of the most enthusiastic Harry Potter fans I've ever seen. It was especially fun to see all the fans dressed in wizard robes and other costumes. I even saw one guy shave his head to look like Voldemort. We had many shows throughout the day and I had a blast entertaining the fans. Just about everyone in the park was taking a ton of photos, and many of them made it onto Facebook, so friends and family can see pictures of me there. One of the shows from yesterday already made its way onto Youtube, so you can check out what a day at the office is for me here!

Earlier this week, there was a festival going on by the temple and school right down the street from Kaigandori House, so we decided to check it out. Right when we arrived these guys came running down the path from the temple toward the street rolling these huge carts, on top of which four little boys beat a big drum and yelled something. I'm really not sure what was going on, but it was a ton of fun to watch.








In the temple area there were tons of lanterns and decorations, and a lot of people were dressed in these white robes and shorts for the occasion. Again, I'm really not sure what was happening. At one point a bunch of kids dressed in the same robes were squatting together in a group as some guy was saying things to them, and then they stood up and went to stand in line to get some sort of goody bags. 





Just outside the temple area, there were dozens of booths set up with carnival snacks and games, so we made the rounds a few times to try some of the food. The whole festival had a fun and relaxed atmosphere, it definitely reminded me of street festivals you might see in smaller cities in the states, or maybe a carnival or county fair or something.


















I learned from my friends that Aussies don't call this cotton candy, they call it fairy floss











This booth that was selling a bunch of games and toys for children also had some boobs for sale apparently?


A few of us recently went back to the conveyor belt sushi place, where we noticed these toy statues of Liberty for sale while we waited for our table. Lady Liberty was in all sorts of poses, and the three of us Americans there thought this was hilarious. We couldn't resist buying a few of them, and while we didn't get the sexy pose one we were hoping for, we got some other funny ones instead. I ended the one where her shirt is over ears. God Bless America.




This is a picture of a tiny crab I spotted while waiting to catch the ferry the to work one day. I definitely though it was a spider at first until I got a closer look. Still, pretty creepy.


Last but not least is a pic of my biddies in Chicago when we google hung out a couple days ago. Friends and family, I miss you all! Look how happy this google hang out made us! You can be this happy too, just let me know when you wanna skype or google hang out! DON'T FORGET ABOUT ME, AMERICAN FRIENDZ.


Alright y'all, I'm off to get some lunch and then explore some more of Osaka. It's been real!



No comments:

Post a Comment